So here I am with another last-minute entry into the Retrochallenge. I really thought I was going to be thoroughly prepared with something really ambitious this time. Yeah, who was I kidding?
Since it’s short notice, I’m picking up with something already in progress. Back in the 2014 challenge I experimented with 3D polygon graphics on the Amiga 500. I got the math for the 3D transforms all worked out, and even figured out a set of fixed-point math operations to speed things up, but I was never satisfied with the speed I got.
This year, I’ll try to make things more interesting, more colorful, and hopefully faster. I also hope to branch out from just the polygon drawing and look at some of the other graphical wizardry the Amiga is capable of.
For my first night on the project, I’m just picking up the pieces, checking out a fresh copy of the source code, and figuring out where I left off. It’s funny how code you’re looking at for the first time in 17 months is never as clearly documented as you remember it being…
The Amiga 500 was my main computer from about 1990 to mid 1995 – long after Commodore’s bankruptcy. To get in the mood, I’m listening to authentic 90s music on authentic 90s media: