Just a quick update today to show that I’ve started work on the actual Questron character editor program. I wanted the editor to run on an actual C64, which means taking the ideas I’ve been prototyping in Python and translating them into something else. Because time is running short, I’m using the CC65 C compiler for 6502 computers.
So far I’ve added the code to read the character save file and grab out some of the variables I’m interested in. The trickiest part is that some of those variables are BASIC floating point variables, and CC65 doesn’t actually have support for floating point numbers. I know the values I want to deal with will fit into 16-bit integers, so it’s just a matter of some careful bitwise manipulation to get the values I want into a format I can deal with. I still have to do the opposite transformation to change values, but I’m going to poke around in my C64 memory map first – there might be a routine in the BASIC implementation that can do the work for me.
I’m getting pretty close here, and although it’s coming down to the wire I’m starting to feel confident that I can do this. Stay tuned!